Career Opportunity – Financial Controller
Join the Atwood Team! Atwood Property Management is a local leader professionally managing more than 150 unique housing communities around Southern Minnesota. Serving the area since 1934, our team of professionals are committed to providing personalized and comprehensive service to our investors, owners and residents.
Atwood Property Management is excited to offer a career opportunity to join our professional team as financial controller. We are looking for a full-time person to be accountable for the accounting operations of the company and represented portfolio of properties, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and standards.
Qualified candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation, preferably in the property management field. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations. Will have outstanding customer service and strong verbal and written communication skills. must love to work in high energy office, have strong multi-tasking skills and be willing to work some evenings/weekends. Additionally, candidates must be organized and possess strong computer skills.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage outsourced functions
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of managed properties, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Oversee the investment of savings funds
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Ensure payroll is processed in a timely manner
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions both cash and accrual basis
- Reconcile all Trial Balance accounts to subsidiary or third party documentation
- Calculate a proration of income and expenses to properly allocate based on ownership
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Measure the performance of company and property operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of annual budgets and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors and income tax preparers
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
Supervises: All accounting staff
Software: QuickBooks, Rent Manager, and Microsoft Office Suite with exceptional proficiency using Excel spreadsheets and pivot tables.
The Atwood Property Management team must embrace the core principles, values and house habits of our company:
Atwood Property Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer